|Apple Rose Tarts for Snacks and School Lunches |
Author: Lisa Douglas
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 1 hour
These small tarts are mini apple pies with tiny sliced apples forming a rose, which make them very portable and easy to eat for school lunches.
- 2-4 apples (depending upon the size, the larger the apple, the less you'll need)
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp raw honey
- 5 tbsp water
- ¾ stick of butter
- 1½ cup of cake flour (more possibly needed for consistency)
- Slice your apple in half, core it, then slice it into thin slices. Repeat until the apples are all cut.
- In a medium saucepan, add the apples, sugar, honey, and water, and cook on medium heat 3-5 minutes, lightly turning over the apples, until the apples have softened.
- Remove the apples from the saucepan with a slotted spoon onto a plate to cool, but do NOT discard the apple water in the saucepan, you'll need it.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small mixing bowl, add the butter and cake flour to the bowl along with 4 tbsp of the apple water, saving the rest of the water just in case.
- Mix and knead the dough until it becomes a ball without being too sticky. If too sticky, add more flour. If too tough, add a little bit more of the apple water.
- Sprinkle cinnamon on a flat surface to roll out the dough.
- Cut the dough in half and set half aside; sprinkle cinnamon on top of the dough and roll it out into a rectangle.
- Cut the dough into 6 even lengthwise slices, approximately one-inch in width.
- Place cupcake liners into a pie plate, and spray the bottom of the liner with cooking spray.
- Lay the apple slices down with the flat part at the bottom, layering the end over top the first piece, until you reach the end of the slice; roll.
- Continue with each slice until the first half of the dough is finished.
- Roll out remaining dough and prepare the same way.
- Cook in the oven for 25-30 minutes, checking every 10 minutes for doneness.
- Remove from oven and set on a wire rack to cool before serving.
- Can be refrigerated for up to a week. Reheat by toasting or baking in an oven.
Recipe by Crazy Adventures in Parenting at http://crazyadventuresinparenting.com/2014/08/apple-rose-tarts-for-snacks-and-school-lunches.html