|Pomegranate Orange Cranberry Sparkling Cocktail |
Author: Lisa Douglas
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
Total time: 30 mins
This festive Pomegranate drink can be made alcoholic or no, and is a perfect addition to your New Year's festivities or holiday gathering. Cheers!
- 1 cup Pomegranate juice or orange juice (your choice)
- 1 cup unsweetened cranberry juice
- Orange Simple Syrup (see full recipe below)
- Juice of one large orange (omit if you use orange juice)
- Chilled champagne or sparkling cider
- Pomegranate seeds for garnish
Orange Simple Syrup
- 1 orange, zested
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- Using a zester (or peeler, if you don't have a zester), zest the orange rind into a small sauce pan. (Note: you only want the orange portion of the rind only, not the white part, as it's bitter.)
- Combined with the orange rind, add the sugar and water.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to medium-low heat.
- Stir with a wooden spoon until sugar is completely dissolved and it begins to thicken slightly.
- Continue to heat for about five minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow syrup to cool completely.
- Drain through a fine strainer, to remove orange rind and discard; chill remaining simple syrup in the fridge until you are ready to use it.
To Assemble the Drink
- In a pitcher combine the orange simple syrup, pomegranate/orange juice, cranberry juice and optional fresh-squeezed orange juice.
- Stir to combine completely, and if not using right away, chill until ready to serve.
To serve cocktail
- Fill the flutes/glasses about a ⅓ of the way full with chilled juice mixture.
- Top with champagne or sparkling juice.
- Add a few pomegranate seeds to each champagne flute or glass.
- Don't worry, at first the seeds will sink, but then they will rise to the top.
Recipe by Crazy Adventures in Parenting at http://crazyadventuresinparenting.com/2014/01/pomegranate-orange-cranberry-sparkling-cocktail-or-mocktail.html