Chicken Tortilla Soup
This delicious soup is a nice, semi-spicy, vegetable-filled alternative for those chilly nights, best served with hot sandwiches or a nice corn bread.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time40 mins
Total Time1 hr
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 3 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 28 ounce can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 15 ounce can of tomato sauce
- 1 28 ounce box condensed chicken broth
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups whole corn kernels cooked
- 1 15 ounce can of white hominy
- 1 4 ounce can of chopped green chile peppers
- 1 15 ounce can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 boneless cooked chicken breast halves cubed
- 2 teaspoons chopped jalapenos
- 2 chopped green onions
- Crushed tortilla chips
- Shredded Pepper Jack cheese
- Slices of avocado for the top optional
In a big pot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
Add onion and garlic into oil and saute until soft.
Stir in chili powder, black pepper, oregano, cumin, tomatoes, tomato sauce, broth, and water and bring to a boil.
Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring often.
Stir in corn, hominy, black beans, chilis, jalapenos, green onions, cilantro, and cubed chicken. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring often.
When serving soup, placed crushed tortilla in the bottom of the bowl, pour soup over top the chips, finally topping the soup with pepper jack cheese and sliced avocado (optional).
You can add additional crushed chips at this time, or line the bowl with whole chips for presentation.