This Easy Santa Hat Cupcakes Recipe is made with chocolate cupcakes, homemade buttercream frosting, and mini marshmallows! Bake these Christmas Santa Hat Cupcakes for your next holiday party!
Santa Hat Cupcakes
I don’t know about you, but any reason to get my kids in the kitchen, I am down. My eleven-year-old is obsessed with baking and is learning all about how to pipe frosting onto cupcakes. This was yet another lesson she learned – how to pipe a santa hat onto a cupcake for these adorable Santa Hat Cupcakes recipe!
Easy Santa Hat Cupcakes
She naturally gravitates to the flower or star tips when decorating – they make such pretty designs, you know? But here we used the round decorating tip #12 to make the santa hat design, which she found not only easy, but fun! Even my six-year-old got in on it!
Best Santa Hat Cupcakes for Holiday Parties
I like to help foster her love of learning how to do decorate cupcakes and to bake. It fills her with joy to be able to go into her class and share with them her baked treats. Will she become a baker some day? I don’t think so, but she’s going to make some awesome cupcakes and cakes for her own children some day!
Festive Santa Hat Cupcakes
The beauty part about these adorable Santa hat cupcakes? They don’t have to be perfect to be special. Her learning how to decorate is a work in progress. Sometimes, the hat’s cone didn’t go according to plan, but the cupcake still looked excellent. It’s all about learning to use your materials and tools. The fact that none of them were exactly the same was what made these Christmas cupcakes that more special to me.
How to Make Santa Hat Cupcakes
To make these simple santa hat cupcakes, you will need:
- 12 chocolate cupcakes made with your favorite cake mix (this one is mine)
- softened butter
- confectioners sugar
- cocoa powder
- red gel food coloring
- mini marshmallows
- Piping bag and Wilton decorating tip 12
Before decorating your cupcakes, be sure they’re cooled completely! Use a cooling rack to help cool your baked creations from above AND below. You don’t want to spoil your pretty santa hat cupcakes by having the frosting melt off the top of the cupcake!
Using an electric mixer, beat together your softened butter, sugar, and milk on medium speed, gradually increasing it to high. Once the ingredients are combined and form stiff peaks, your buttercream is ready. Frost the cupcake tops with some of the buttercream using a offset spatula.
In the remaining buttercream, add in your cocoa powder and blend in the red gel food coloring. Mix until the color is well-combined and consistent.
Add the red frosting to a piping bag and Wilton decorating tip 12 to pipe out the adorable Santa hats on your cupcakes. Start with large circles and work your way up, decreasing the size until you come to a point.
Carefully trim your mini marshmallows with a pair of kitchen shears and put your trimmed marshmallow on the tip as the fluff on Santa’s hat. Repeat for all your piped cupcakes.
Look at how fun and festive these adorable Santa hat cupcakes are, don’t you think?
Santa Hat Cupcakes with Homemade Frosting
- Ensure your cupcakes are cool before decorating, you don’t want your frosting to melt right off your cupcake, do you?
- In a medium sized bowl using an electric mixer, beat together butter, sugar, and milk on medium speed, gradually increasing it to high. Once the ingredients are combined and form stiff peaks, your buttercream is ready.
- Scoop out about ¼ cup of white buttercream and with an offset spatula and frost each cupcake.
- Add cocoa to your remaining buttercream and mix on high. Add red gel food coloring and mix until completely tinted.
- Using a piping bag, pipe out a tall, triangular shape onto each cupcake – like a cone.
- Cut each mini marshmallow in half and top the buttercream hats.
- Enjoy and happy holidays!
What do you think? Is this something you’d love to make for your next holiday party? If you’re looking for more holiday recipes like this one, don’t forget to check out my recipe index for more dessert recipes, Christmas recipes, cupcake recipes, and much more! Happy Holidays to you!