This recipe was originally found over at Donna’s The Frugal Mom Blog (but the recipe has since disappeared there). It is SO smooth, rich and total yum, I couldn’t pass up sharing it with you. I tweaked her recipe, as we make our own creamy soups for gravies and recipes, and I added more chicken broth to try to help thin up the uber-creaminess of it. It was AMAZINGLY good!
Now, recall, this recipe is to feed MY family of 8, and is doubled from the ‘normal’ recipes, so divide these quantities in half if you’ve got a smaller family, or else you’ll have tons of leftovers 🙂
Italian Crock Pot Chicken
- 2 packages approximately 8 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cubed
- 1/4 cup margarine or butter
- 2 .7 ounce package dry Italian-style salad dressing mix
- 2 8 ounce package cream cheese
- creamed soup base recipe below
- 1 cup chicken broth**
- 1.5 boxes of spaghetti or can use egg noodles, rotelle, use your imagination
- vegetable of your choice
- Cube chicken, place in slow cooker.
- Once soup mixture is made (see recipe below), add margarine, dressing mix and cubed cream cheese to soup mixture, melt, stirring frequently to prevent burning.
- Pour mixture over chicken in slow cooker. (**add chicken broth a little at a time to help loosen it up, it will be very thick and creamy and might be hard to stir)
- Cook on low for 5 to 6 hours.
- Just before dinner time, put water on to boil, prepare spaghetti
- Drain spaghetti, add to chicken in crock pot, stirring until all spaghetti is coated (or, you can serve it over the spaghetti).
Serve and enjoy!
Creamed Soup from Scratch
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Stir in flour; keep stirring until smooth and bubbly.
- Remove from heat and add the chicken broth and milk, a little at a time, stirring to keep smooth.
- Return to heat. Bring sauce to a gentle boil; cook, stirring constantly, until it thickens.
- Taste and add salt and pepper, as needed to taste.
This was FABULOUS with cheese biscuits last night. SO YUM! Thank you again, Donna! Enjoy!