I love sharing recipes (of course) and finding new ones to try. I especially love creating delicious new things to eat that are frugal as well as delicious. This cheesy pasta casserole recipe was originally found over at Kate’s blog A Simple Walk and is a great new take on spaghetti/macaroni with tomato sauce. This can be made so economically by using egg noodles (as she used) or spaghetti, as well as your own tomato sauce if you’ve already made some.
I tweaked her recipe, in true Lisa-fashion, and instead of adding dollops of the cream mixture, I mixed it right into the sauce and instead of layering as she suggests, I put it all together in one and baked it. We also used spaghetti instead of egg noodles, and of course, doubled the recipe to feed our family and have leftovers for lunch. So. Darn. Good!
Now, recall, this recipe is to feed MY family of 8, and is doubled from the ‘normal’ recipe, so divide these quantities in half if you’ve got a smaller family, or else you’ll have tons of leftovers 🙂
- 1 package egg noodles cooked and drained (or 1 1/2 pkgs spaghetti)
- 1 package ground turkey chicken or beef, cooked (optional) (we used chicken breasts, boiled then chopped up finely)
- 1 jar tomato sauce
- 1 8 oz package cream cheese softened
- 1 cup sour cream
- garlic salt pepper, Mrs. Dash
- 1 block shredded cheddar cheese
- Mix the softened cream cheese with sour cream, seasonings, and tomato sauce together.
- Place small amount of sauce down in 2 casserole dishes to prevent sticking (I have one 13"x9" and one slightly smaller we use).
- Place the cooked egg noodles/spaghetti and chopped chicken/beef/turkey into sauce, blending together, then pour into casserole dishes.
- Cover with shredded cheese.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
This was FABULOUS with some buttery soft biscuits and some mixed vegetables last night. YUMMERIFIC! Thank you again, Kate! Enjoy!