These easy Rainbow Cookies have gorgeous sky blue homemade frosting on them! These gorgeous rainbow cookies are as delicious as they are beautiful! Easy to make for birthdays and parties, too!
This post may contain affiliate links which means we receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Holy rainbow awesomeness, friends! 🌈These Rainbow Cookies came out SO SPECTACULARLY, I literally can’t even! Gah!! We are pretty rainbow obsessed in our household, if you couldn’t already tell from our other rainbow-themed posts: Rainbow Cupcakes, Rainbow Slime, or Rainbow Cereal Craft! Heck, we even have plans to do more rainbow recipes and crafts soon! (Be sure to subscribe in the sidebar and stay tuned!)
Rainbow Cookies Recipe
After making our Rainbow Cupcakes recipe earlier this year, I just knew I had to make these Rainbow Cookies next. I’ve been in a rainbow kind of mood lately and I’m just letting it allll gooooo, you know? If you follow me on Instagram, you might’ve seen my rainbow posts there recently! I’ve added these crazy awesome rainbow suncatchers to all our main level windows! Look at the gorgeousness in my living and dining room area! It feels magical every time the sun shines through them!
View this post on Instagram
There’s something so magical about rainbows, don’t you think? 🌈 Seeing them projected all over our walls and furniture makes me incredibly happy! 😍 So thrilled to have found these @rainbowsymphony stickers! Ordering more so we can make beauuuuuutiful rainbows everywhere like this! Check out the link in my profile for the ones we have! 🌈😍🏠
I added them to the kitchen and my office, too! Check out my rainbow face in my kitchen area (since I’ve got all those windows covered too)!
And we just dip-dyed the ends of my daughter’s hair, and I just posted this! She stood in the sunlight with the rainbows coming in through the door, isn’t it gorgeous! (Tutorial on how best to dip-dye hair with Kool-aid coming up soon!)
View this post on Instagram
Nothing like a little rainbow action reflecting on your newly dip-dyed hair! The rainbows that cascade through our kitchen windows every morning are so breathtaking, and even more so this morning on her hair! 🌈 As soon as we pulled up to the school, all her friends went nuts with squeaky squeals in excitement for our experiment! It really was the cutest! 😍 If you wanna see the Kool-aid dying process, check out my stories!
So yeah, when I say we’re “rainbow obsessed,” I really mean it! 🌈😍
Rainbow Cookies for Kids
This is such a fun and easy recipe for kids to make right alongside you! Don’t be scared to let ’em help you frost the cookies for you, roll the fondant out to make each color of the rainbow, add the mini marshmallows to the frosted cookies to decorate them, or even help you roll out the dough and use the circle cookie cutter to cut out their shapes! Rolling out the rainbows is the funnest thing ever for the kids! Fondant is like clay!
Easy Rainbow Cookies
I think one of the best things about making this easy rainbow cookies recipe is that it doesn’t require a ton of effort or complicated ingredients to make it look this good! We stick with our old tried and true homemade buttercream frosting and our ol’ reliable sugar cookie recipe! Why? Because we know they produce the desired results!
Simple Rainbow Cookies
One of my most favorite things about a lot of these recipes we make is how beautiful they are despite being ridiculously simple. I really try, especially with recipes involving the kids, to make it as easy and simple as possible so they can participate too! It means a great deal to me, knowing we have had that time in the kitchen together, and helping other families do the same with recipes like these Rainbow Cookies!
Fun Rainbow Cookies
Got a party or a get-together and you need to bring a plate? Why not these fun rainbow cookies? I’m not even a kid and I would applaud you if you brought these over to me, haha!
How to Make Rainbow Cookies
To make these ADORABLE Rainbow Cookies for yourself, you will need the following ingredients:
- Your favorite recipe for sugar cookies, enough to make at least one dozen 3-inch circular cookies! (This is our all-time favorite sugar cookies recipe but you can use a box mix instead! Look for a mix for the Box Tops!)
- Butter, softened
- Icing sugar
- Sky blue gel food coloring
- Red fondant
- Orange fondant
- Yellow fondant
- Green fondant
- Blue fondant
- Violet fondant
- Mini marshmallows
You will also need the following tools:
- Circle cookie cutter, 3 inches in diameter
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Wire cooling rack
- Bowl set
- Electric mixer
- Offset spatula
Preheat your oven according to your cookie’s recipe’s directions. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Roll out your sugar cookie dough so that it’s about ¼ of an inch thick. Using your 3-inch circle cookie cutter, cut out 12 circles. Place each cookie on lined cookie sheet and bake according to recipe’s directions. Allow the cookies to cool completely on a wire cooling rack.
In a small bowl, beat together butter, icing sugar and milk using an electric mixer. These ingredients will make up your buttercream frosting. Once the ingredients are well-combined, smooth and form semi-stiff peaks, add blue gel food coloring. Mix until it’s completely tinted. Use an offset spatula to frost each cookie.
Now, it’s time to create your fondant rainbow, woohoo! Start off with your red fondant first, and work your way to the violet fondant in the order listed above. Grab a small portion of your red fondant, and roll out a strip, about 3 inches long. Arch it on top of one of your cookies.
Do the same with the rest of your colors, placing it just below the previous color. Trim on the sides where you need to as necessary. Repeat for every color on every cookie.
Place 2-3 mini marshmallows on each end of your fondant rainbow to represent your clouds.
Once you’ve placed all the marshmallows for “clouds” on the cookies, you’re finished! Hooray! Enjoy eating these Rainbow Cookies!
What do you think of these gorgeous Rainbow Cookies? Aren’t they beautiful and perfect? I hope you save this recipe for later by pinning it below and/or sharing it with friends and family! Full recipe measurements and instructions can be found below. I hope you enjoy these as much as we do!
- Sugar cookies Your favorite recipe that’s enough to make at least one dozen 3-inch circular cookies
- ½ stick butter softened
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- 2 drops sky blue gel food coloring
- 2-3 oz. red fondant
- 2-3 oz. orange fondant
- 2-3 oz. yellow fondant
- 2-3 oz. green fondant
- 2-3 oz. blue fondant
- 2-3 oz. violet fondant
- 24-40 mini marshmallows
- Preheat your oven according to your cookie’s recipe’s directions. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Roll out your sugar cookie dough so that it’s about ¼ of an inch thick. Using your circle cookie cutter, cut out 12 circles.
- Place each cookie on lined cookie sheet and bake according to recipe’s directions.
- Allow the cookies to cool completely on a wire cooling rack.
- In a small bowl, beat together butter, icing sugar and milk using an electric mixer. These ingredients will make up your buttercream frosting.
- Once the ingredients are well-combined, smooth and form semi-stiff peaks, add blue gel food coloring.
- Mix until it’s completely tinted.
- Use an offset spatula to frost each cookie.
- Now, it’s time to create your fondant rainbow. Start with your red fondant and work your way to the violet fondant, in the order listed above.
- Grab a small portion of your red fondant, and roll out a strip, about 3 inches long. Arch it on top of one of your cookies.
- Do the same with the rest of your colors, placing it just below its appropriate color. Trim on the sides where you see necessary. Repeat for every cookie.
- Place 2-3 mini marshmallows at either end of your fondant rainbow. Enjoy!