If your kids are on an extended break at home because of school closings, check out this massive list of free educational resources for kids offering free subscriptions to continue to learn at home!
This post may contain affiliate links which means we receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
HUGE LIST of Free Educational Resources for Kids Due to School Closings
Kids are home from school, now what? If you find yourself afraid to be suddenly homeschooling or “distance learning” as the schools are calling it, and you need help keeping your kids’ minds fresh, check out our extensive list below of FREE educational resources for kids!
I made this gigantic list of free educational resources for kids just as much for you as I did it for myself!! The kids spend hours a day learning at school, but the teacher assignments they were given to work at home aren’t nearly as long. I want to fill that void in their day with more educational opportunities, you know?
This massive list of free educational resources for kids is chock full of diverse awesomeness and listed alphabetically by subject! All of these free resources will help keep your kids busy while learning during this extended period of time home!
Educational Sites Offering Free Subscriptions
These educational sites are offering coupon codes or free subscriptions currently and have plenty to offer in tons of subjects!
- 123 Homeschool for ME offers 200,000 different free worksheets and educational activities to help making learning fun with resources arranged by grade or subject.
- 2Simple Purple Mash is a website designed for children aged 3-11 that contains many tools (coding, animation, publishing, art, math, spelling and grammar) along with thousands of topic based activities.
- 3P Learning
- Carmen Sandiego Resources has videos, stories, and lessons for all subject areas
- CK-12 Foundation – Each lesson has a reading passage, videos, optional review questions, and self-graded practice questions.
- Curriculum Associates – Free printable K-8 Reading and Math activity packs available in English and Spanish and guidance for teachers and families to support learning at home
- Discovery K12 provides a complete online curriculum for pre-k to 12th grade. All main subjects are covered, plus extra curriculum courses.
- Ditch That Textbook provides 50 elearning activities, templates and tutorials
- Enchanted Learning has over 35,000 K-12 pages (with a focus on elementary school) covering a wide range of topics, information pages, printable worksheets, crafts, coloring pages, etc.
- eSpark Learning is a great way for students to continue to independently learn math and reading standards at a level that’s right for them, even if they’re not in the classroom.
- Hand2Mind Learn at Home has free downloadable lessons and activities for K-8 students in Math & Literacy, with new materials continuing to be added.
- HippoCampus is always free! Explore over 7,000 free videos in 13 subject areas. Create a free account and create customized playlists too.
- Houghton Mifflin Harcourt is a global leader in Pre K-12 educational content and services, combining digital innovation and research to make learning more engaging and effective.
- Khan Academy is a nonprofit with the mission to provide a free, world-class education for anyone, anywhere.
- Match Fishtank offers free K-12 instructional materials in math and English Language Arts. The site offers full courses of instructional content for each grade level comprised of daily lessons plans, problem sets, homework, assessments, writing prompts, and vocabulary resources and can be searched by standard and topic. The content is always free.
- Minecraft Education is a free game-based learning platform that promotes creativity, collaboration, and problem-solving in an immersive digital environment.
- PenPal Schools connects more than half a million students from over 150 countries to learn together through collaborative online projects! Students collaborate through online projects ranging from human rights and the environment to fake news and robotics, all while practicing literacy, technology and social-emotional skills. Teachers can assess student work and support student growth by providing customizable and personalized feedback.
- PhET Science and Math labs – Free interactive simulations for science and math
- PopEd creates classroom activities for K-12 students that focus on human population change and related issues including natural resource use, environmental sustainability, equity, well-being, and more.
- Scholastic is helping to keep the learning going with special cross-curricular journeys. Every day includes four separate learning experiences, each built around a thrilling, meaningful story or video. Kids can do them on their own, with their families, or with their teachers. Just find your grade level and let the learning begin!
- Skype a Scientist is offering to match a scientist to your child/ren and family chat about science over email and pick a time to chat!
- Studyladder provides ELA, Math, Science and other areas of study for kinder through 6th grade.
Free Virtual Field Trips for Kids
Are you looking for ways to entertain your children with an educational twist? Check out these permission-slip free virtual field trips right from the comforts of your own home!
Zoos, Farms, National Parks
- Acadia National Park
- Arches National Park
- Badlands National Park
- Big Bend National Park
- Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park
- Bruce Canyon National Park
- Canyonlands National Park
- Channel Islands National Park
- Cincinnati Zoo Home Safari
- Cuyahoga Valley National Park
- Death Valley National Park
- Denali National Park
- Dry Tortugas National Park
- Everglades National Park
- Farm Food 360
- Glacier National Park
- Grand Canyon National Park
- Grand Teton National Park
- Great Smoky Mountain National Park
- Guadalupe Mountains National Park
- Joshua Tree National Park
- Mesa Verde National Park
- Mount Rainier National Park
- National Parks Service
- Olympic National Park
- Redwood National and State Parks
- Rocky Mountain National Park
- San Diego Zoo
- Sequoia National Park
- Shenandoah National Park
- The Great Wall of China
- Virgin Islands National Park
- Virtual Farm Trips
- Wind Cave National Park
- Yellowstone National Park
- Yosemite National Park
- Zion National Park
- Live Cams at the San Diego Zoo
- Monterey Bay Aquarium live cams
- Panda Cam at Zoo Atlanta
- Polar Bears
- 6 Animal Cams at Houston Zoo
- Georgia Aquarium has Jellyfish, Beluga Whales, and more
- Boston Children’s Museum
- Google Arts and Culture
- Irish Linen Centre & Lisburn Museum
- The Metropolitan Opera
- Musee de Orsay, Paris
- National Portrait Gallery
- The British Museum, London
- The Field Museum
- The Louvre
- The Smithsonian
- The State Hermitage Museum
- Van Gogh Museum
Other Virtual Tours
- Boeing Virtual Field Trip at Johnson Space Center in Houston, Texas
- Explore the Globe
- Manufacture Your Future
- The Pyramids
- The Solar System & Mars
Free Literacy and Writing Help for Kids
- American Reading Company – ARC Bookshelf is a mobile application available on iOS, Android and viewable on the web, providing American Reading at Home titles specially designed for successful reading practice.
- Classroom Cereal offers grammar practice in free, printable short stories.
- Dog on a Log offers free printable board games, activities and more for phonics and reading all using evidence-based methods. Can be customized to any student’s needs including creating flashcards for other subjects.
- Dreamscape is an engaging reading game for grades 2-8 that combines strategy, engagement, and imaginative reading passages to create a fun, curriculum-aligned literacy game.
- EBLI offers non-fiction read alouds for grades Pre-K-12th with reading tips
- Epic is a leading digital library with access to 35,000 of the best books, learning videos, quizzes & more
- Libby App for digital books and audio books. Anyone with a library card (at least in whatever cities/states use Overdrive) can access it.
- NoRedInk is a free online curriculum that builds better writers. It includes diagnostic tools and assessments, targeted skills practice, a writing platform that guides students through the drafting and revision process, and instructional resources for teachers.
- Novel Effect is a free app that makes storytime a little more fun for kids and grown-ups too! As you read out loud from print or e-books, music, sound effects, and character voices play at just the right moment, adjusting and responding to your voice. They provide soundscapes for hundreds of popular picture books, and more titles added regularly.
- Spelling City builds literacy skills with vocabulary and spelling. Free with code “VSCFree90”
- StoryJumper – With StoryJumper, any K-12 student can become a Published Author of a hardcover book that is delivered to their home. They’ll have a great time showing their classmates their published book when school is back in session!
- Storyline Online streams videos featuring celebrated actors reading children’s books alongside creatively produced illustrations.
- Vocabulary Olympics – Using a dictionary or dictionary website, search for medal-winning words.
- Bronze: a word you’ve heard of but don’t use often in speaking or writing
- Silver: a word that you haven’t heard before that you’d like to try out
- Gold: a word that knocks your socks off with how interesting or obtuse it is (look up obtuse!)
Free Math Programs and Resources for Kids
- 2048 – This free online game board involves strategic thinking as you combine doubles. Can you build to 2,048? (What about 4096?)
- Ascend Math – Ascend Math is a K to 12 math instructional resource that offers award winning math instruction that provides an individual study plan for each student. Ascend Math’s study plans are unique to each student, prescriptive, adaptive, and automatically assigned. Teachers also have the ability to assign standards to an entire class or grade to meet pacing guidelines.
- Bedtime Math is a national nonprofit that ignites kids’ curiosity and learning by unleashing the fun in math. It offers playful online math problems for parents to do with their kids every day, as well as lively hands-on games. Research has shown that both offerings reduce kids’ math anxiety, increase their love of math, and lay the groundwork for greater math achievement.
- Boddle Learning is a math platform for 1-6th grade that makes learning fun and personalized. Teachers are able to track student progress remotely and quickly identify learning gaps. Boddle is currently being offered at no cost to educators that are dealing with school closures. Add #remote next to school name on sign-up page.
- Can Figure It Geometry is always free and was created by teachers! This highly interactive tool provides an easy-to-use workspace where students can practice proofs while exercising their deductive reasoning muscles.
- Colosky’s Math Academy offers pre-recorded and live math classes from 5th grade math through trigonometry and college algebra. Until April 3, you can sign up and receive free access to any pre-recorded course for 3 weeks.
- Cool Math has free online math lessons, math games and fun math activities and is used widely in classrooms.
- Cool Math Games is a fun brain-training site for everyone, where logic, thinking and math meet fun and games.
- Cool Math 4 Kids is an amusement park of games, lessons and more, designed to teach math and make it FUN for ages 12 and under.
- Delta Math is a free website for teachers and students covering a wide range of math content from middle school through AP Calculus.
- Dreambox Learning Math is an award-winning K-8 online math program that looks at how a student is solving problems to adjust accordingly and build a unique learning path for them. They’re offering a 90 day free trial – must sign up by April 30th.
- ExploreLearning Reflex offers adaptive and individualized for grades 2-6, Reflex is the most effective system for mastering basic math facts in addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.
- Inside Mathematics: Problem of the Month! Download and solve word problems. Multi-levels of challenge for each problem, along with key.
- Polyup – Combine math computation with coding! Explore skills in your own grade level or others as you solve for Poly!
- Prodigy is an engaging, curriculum-aligned math platform loved by over 50 million students, teachers and admins. Easily motivate 1st to 8th grade students to learn and practice math.
- ST Math is an award-winning visual instructional program for grades K through 8.
- UnLock Math offers online their math curriculum for grades 6-12. Families are free to sign up as many children as needed. Sign up for their 14 day free trial due to school closures and email email@example.com to extend trial to 3 weeks or longer depending on circumstances.
Free Science/STEM Resources for Kids
- Astrostem – Astrostem.org is an online education platform that includes astronomy lessons, astronomy applications, astronomy workshops, space games, current astronomy and space science news and allows users to produce their own content. All resources free with creation of online account!
- Biology Simulations offers simulations and virtual labs for biology topics including evolution, ecology, and cellular energetics. All materials are free.
- Club OASIS is a free online STEM club that offers free STE(A)M classes, projects, and teaching resources for families and educators.
- Collisions Chemistry is a system of digital games, grounded in the rules of chemistry, that can be used to introduce, teach, and review key concepts in chemistry.
- CreositySpace is providing lessons from their Contagion Crushers, Water Watchers and Conscientious Chemists units at no cost to help support teachers, parents, and guardians to keep all kids engaged in science.
- Defined Learning offers hands-on projects that are based on situations in STEM careers to help learners discover their passions and choose a pathway to a promising future.
- Exploring Nature is a science education website with more than 6,000 pages of illustrated Life Science, Earth Science, Physical Science, Biology, Anatomy, Ecology resources for K-12.
- Mystery Science pulled their most popular science lessons and are offering them for anyone to use for free. No account or login is needed.
- National Inventors Hall of Fame hands-on STEM activity guide
- Science4Us has thousands of online and offline activities that can be completed in as little as ten minutes, and teach students using videos, interaction, poems, songs, and digital notebooks. Free 30-day trial. Schools impacted by closures may receive extended pilots for support during this time.
- Science Buddies STEM Activities – Free K-12 resources for hands-on STEM learning
Free Computer Science Classes and Programs for Kids
- BlockCAD builds math and computer science skills by using a specialized 3D CAD (computer-aided drafting) software. A block-based coding platform allows students to create and manipulate 3D objects while using geometry and computational thinking skills.
- Create & Learn is a Silicon Valley based company focusing on online computer science education. They have professionally trained instructors to teach live classes using video conferencing on a wide range of topics such as coding (Scratch, Minecraft modding, Python), robotics, and AI. All curriculum was created by Stanford, Harvard graduates, and former tech leaders from Google, with collaborations with experts in top tech companies.
- Project Mouse offers free STEM, computer science, and technology activities for students in grades 5-12 learning from home
Free Preschool & Young Learners Programs
- Beanstalk – Beanstalk Interactive is a Denver-based interactive educational pre-school children’s content company for ages 1-6. They are offering free membership for their interactive classes at this time.
- CircleTime Fun – Learn and bond with your 0 – 6 year old. Follow and interact with an expert instructor with code “homefun1”
- Learn with Homer provides the best educational start possible by offering personalized, fun, and proven learning products for children ages 2-8.
- Starfall is a free powerful tool that provides hours and hours of engaging educational content for pre-school and grade school kids. It uses animation and sound to engage children in the learning process.
- Vroom offers free educational tips and science explanation for parents of children 0 to 5 available by app, text, and printables.
Free Music Curriculums for Kids
Let’s jam with these wonderful free music programs for children of all ages!
- Busy Kids Do Piano – Get a free month of lessons with coupon code PIANOATHOME
- Chrome Music Lab is a website that makes learning music more accessible through fun, hands-on experiments.
- Jazz Everyone offers a wide selection of free lessons to teach you how to improvise and play Jazz online, for schools and private learning. Over 600 instructional videos and thousands of downloadable PDFs and tracks with one of the leading jazz educators, Willie Thomas.
- Music Theory offers free introductory and intermediate music theory lessons, exercises, ear trainers, and calculators.
- Prodigies is a colorful music curriculum for kids 1-12 that will teach your kids how to play their first instrument, how to sing in tune, and how to understand the language of music! Free 21-day trial.
- Quaver Music is offering free access to general music activities to all impacted schools, including free student access at-home.
Free Art Lessons for Kids
Can’t have this massive list of free educational resources for kids without art lessons, yes! Check out these awesome options!
- Art Achieve offers free art lessons for grades 1 through adult!
- Doodles Academy is a free art curriculum for grades 1-5 that is available virtually that provides art projects that offer authentic art experiences for students. Every student makes their own artistic decisions and walks away from the project with an artwork unique to them.
- Jerry’s Artarama has 2,000 art videos and 10,000 hours of art instruction! Check it out!
- Mark Kistler has free online drawing lessons via webcasts for live at home virtual learning.
- Skillshare offers free art tutorials and step-by-step instructions for kids!
Free Foreign Languages Programs for Kids
Help your children learn a foreign language at home with these wonderful free foreign language programs for kids!
- Cantonese for Families helps families teach Cantonese and Chinese to their children with access to Hundreds of pages of free printables.
- Duolingo is always free and offers multiple languages!
- LingroLearning is a free Spanish app with games that make you think. Review vocabulary, grammar, culture, strategies, and pragmatics with this free, fun app. Collect coins and experience points to unlock new levels.
- Rockalingua is music based Spanish learning.
Free Worksheets, Resources, and Printables for Kids
- AllKidsNetwork offers free educational resources, worksheets, writing prompts, themed coloring pages, craft and snack ideas for parents, teachers & caregivers.
- Coloring Nature has more than 675 FREE printable coloring pages with categories including science (biomes, anatomy), animals, plants and more, plus some pure whimsy and just for fun.
- EdHelper offers daily free workbooks for kids K-6th
- Loads of coloring pages and activity sheets here!
Free Emotional Wellbeing Programs for Kids
In addition to this massive list of free educational resources for kids, we thought we might add in some positivity, kindness, and other such wellbeing-minded programs that help children!
- Camp Kindness is a non-profit organization that supports social emotional learning and character development in elementary school aged kids.
- Centervention offers game-based interventions that focus on improving social and emotional skills in K-8 students.
- Character Strong – 30 Day Kindness Activities and Lessons for Educators. Virtual Assemblies for secondary students with amazing speakers, Professional Development for Staff
- GoNoodle engages 14 million kids every month with movement and mindfulness videos created by child development experts. Available for free at school, home, and everywhere kids are!
With this massive list of free educational resources for kids, not only are we engaging their minds, but let’s engage their bodies and help them stay active during this time at home too!
- Canone Learning provides K-12 Health and Physical Education courses online for a variety of grade levels.
- Little Twisters Yoga – Free at-home kids yoga lesson plans
- Sworkit Kid Workouts provides free workouts for kids
Fun at Home Games
- Breakout EDU has put together a collection of digital games that students can play at home. Students can click on any game and start playing!
- Moviola offers video-based creative writing and film studies courses with LMS tracking students’ progress and quiz results. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for free LMS access.
Any other resources you guys are currently using? I’d love to know what you’re doing!