While on a brand trip a couple weeks ago, my friend Christine was gushing about an oil combination she uses regularly to help keep her calm and relieve her occasional anxiousness. I use essential oils for that myself, having my own concoction of oils and other products to aid in keeping me calm, but I wanted to thoroughly investigate and try her recommendation to see if it helped me, too.
The original version of the recipe calls for Patchouli, which I did NOT have on hand, and didn’t include things that calm/strengthen me regularly, like Joy™, Release™, Cedarwood, and Grapefruit. This lead me to breaking out a small mixing bowl with a q-tip and hitting my large collection of oils, playing chemist, until I created something I’m quite proud of, something I can use as a go-to when the everyday stresses of life begin to bog me down.
Introducing my new, updated recipe for Liquid Calm, stored in 5ml bottle instead of a 15ml bottle with roller fitment:
Full instructions and ingredients can be found below:
- 25 drops Lavender
- 15 drops Valor®
- 10 drops Vetiver
- 10 drops Grapefruit
- 10 drops Joy™
- 5 drops Release™
- 5 drops Cedarwood
- Fill with carrier oil
- Using a brand new or emptied glass oil bottle, start dropping the oil one-by-one into it.
- Most of the oils will drop just fine directly from the bottle, but you will need a dropper to use Vetiver, as it is really thick.
- Once all the oils have been added, add drops of a carrier oil like V-6 into the bottle until practically full.
- Secure the roller fitment on top, placing the top on it to snap it into place.
- (If you're re-using an old Young Living bottle, make sure it has the letters "Sb" on the bottom, so that the fitment can be used. Only "Sb" bottles are designed to fit the fitments.)
- Once secured with the fitment top and cap on, shake the mixture gently to combine all the oils.
- For the label, I used washi tape and wrapped it four times around to deepen the color. (You could use decorative duct tape cut in half lengthwise, too.)
- I then wrote the name in permanent marker and cut it to fit, placing it onto the washi tape.
- I secured the label (and also made it waterproof) by using scotch tape over top.
- Keep this and all oils stored tightly in a cool, dry, dark place and away from the heat or sun.
I knew I’d come up with a winning concoction when I tested it right out of my mixing bowl. After laying the q-tip down, I began screwing all the oil tops back on as my husband walked in the door from work. He commented how it smelt “oily” in here, wanted to know what I was up to, and I explained as I screwed the last top on tight. I showed him the bottle, and before he finished sniffing, I realized how calm I felt right then – it was THAT fast, maybe a couple of minutes? I didn’t expect it to be, but it WAS!
I like how easy this is to use. If I’m feeling occasional stress, I grab my bottle, roll it on, and feel calm within minutes. I also used one of my old 5ml bottles for this. It was super easy to get the label off, too – I just ran what was left of the label under hot water, scrubbing with my nail until it came off clean. After wiping, the bottle was good as new, ready to use!
Would something like this benefit you at all?
Essential Oil Deal
Our Black Friday Deal was so popular, we’ve decided to improve on that offer for March 2015! Check out all you can get for free for becoming a wholesale member (like Costco)!
We love and trust using Young Living essential oils, having used them for years. For more information, check out my Young Living information page.