I went to a lovely Mother Daughter Brunch at church on Saturday, and they served a delectable Broccoli and Sausage Quiche that I was lucky enough to bring home. No one else but hubby would eat it (I guess Broccoli for breakfast wasn’t enticing?), so I decided to make my own. A variance on a Quiche Lorraine, but healthier. A healthy Quiche Lorraine, yes!
Healthier Quiche Lorraine - Quiche a la Lisa 🙂
- Preheat oven to 425
- Prepare crust as per recipe - place in pie pan. Make a design, adding height to crust to keep mixture in while baking. See picture for what I did.
- Fry bacon, drain, let cool.
- Beat eggs, milk and seasonings.
- Add cheeses.
- Crumble bacon in bottom of pie crust.
- Add egg mixture, being careful not to tip or jolt and spill.
- Add to oven, cook at 425 for 15 minutes. Drop temp to 325 after that and bake for an additional 35 minutes until knife in center comes out clean.
- Let cool 10 minutes and serve.
A traditional Quiche Lorraine calls for heavy whipping cream, so I substituted milk, and it asks for 12 pieces of bacon. I opted for 6, but you could add an extra 2 as garnish, or for extra bacon. Small browned sausage pieces would work well too. It also asked for swiss, and I put parmesan and extra sharp cheddar as I think these will be tastier for my kiddos.
Pic of the finished product 🙂
Here’s my tutorial on how to make a scalloped edge pie crust: