Are you looking for a “cool” and fun way to create something with your kids for Valentine’s Day? Perhaps they’re having a party, or want to give their friends something homemade from the heart. (Get it? Heh.) These Cream Cheese Mint Hearts are easy, fun, and the kids love ’em!
To create these, you’ll need a tiny heart-shaped cookie cutter. (I got mine at Amazon). Don’t think for a second you need to be perfect with these, either. Even if they colors aren’t perfect, they’re homemade and from the heart, and that’s all that counts! 🙂
These are so delectably light with a creaminess to it from the cream cheese. Dare I say sinfully good? These can easily be made for other holidays, too, with different colors (and shapes)!
Aren’t these so ridiculously cute, though? They come out SO great. My kids likened it to creating edible play dough-esque mint hearts they could eat. The kids couldn’t get enough (of both the creating AND the eating lol). We’ve been baking for Valentine’s Day up a storm lately! Check out all our other Valentine’s recipes, too!
Cream Cheese Mint Hearts for Valentine’s Day
- 3 ounces room temperature cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon room temperature butter
- 3 cups lightly packed powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon mint extract or, if you prefer, another extract flavor like vanilla, raspberry, almond, etc
- Pink or hot pink food coloring
- 1 inch heart shaped cookie cutter
- extra powdered sugar for rolling
- Using a food processor, pulse together the cream cheese, butter, and powdered sugar until it reaches a crumble.
- Add in your extract and pulse again until it becomes a ball of dough.
- On a non-stick surface coated in powdered sugar, break the dough into 2 even sections, set one section aside.
- Place a few drops of your hot pink food coloring on the dough and knead well, adding powdered sugar as needed to prevent sticking (even on your hands), until the color is uniform.
- Coat a rolling pin in more powdered sugar and roll the dough to 1/8th inch thick.
- Prepare a cookie sheet with wax paper, set aside.
- Use the heart shaped cookie cutter to cut hearts into the dough as close as you can, and use a thin metal spatula to transfer them to a sheet of wax paper. Continue rolling the dough and cutting out hearts until there is about 2 tablespoons left.
- Mix the extra dough into the dough you set aside and knead, adding powdered sugar as needed to until it is a uniform lighter pink color.
- Repeat step 7 above.
- Allow the heart shaped mints to dry on wax paper untouched for at least 2 hours before serving.