Oh, friends. This is a soup that beckons you in your sleep.
It’s warm, and soothing, and has a bit of bite that keeps your lips warm even long after you’ve finished eating.
It’s chock-full of tomatoey goodness, with beans, corn, and oniony happiness.
Add in a little freshly shredded pepper jack cheese and some tortilla chips, and you’ve got a party.
Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 3 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can of tomato sauce
- 1 (28 ounce) box condensed chicken broth
- 2½ cups water
- 2 cups whole corn kernels, cooked
- 1 (15 ounce) can of white hominy
- 1 (4 ounce) can of chopped green chile peppers
- 1 (15 ounce) can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 boneless cooked chicken breast halves, cubed
- 2 teaspoons chopped jalapenos
- 2 chopped green onions
- Crushed tortilla chips
- Shredded Pepper Jack cheese
- Slices of avocado for the top (optional)
- In a big pot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic into oil and saute until soft.
- Stir in chili powder, black pepper, oregano, cumin, tomatoes, tomato sauce, broth, and water and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in corn, hominy, black beans, chilis, jalapenos, green onions, cilantro, and cubed chicken. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- When serving soup, placed crushed tortilla in the bottom of the bowl, pour soup over top the chips, finally topping the soup with pepper jack cheese and sliced avocado (optional).
- You can add additional crushed chips at this time, or line the bowl with whole chips for presentation.
Promise me you’ll try this soon, and come back here and tell me how you liked it, okay?
(P.S. Check out my new Recipe Index of all the recipes I’ve shared over the past few years!)