For Valentine’s Day, I wanted create cute, heart-shaped homemade pop tarts for my kids, showing them the love from my heart through my kitchen. With my husband gone, and no real plans to celebrate, this became my way to celebrate with them – preparing them something special.
I dusted off my old Pampered Chef heart-shaped mold to create the heart cut-outs, and brought out the Nutella and Biscoff spread to make these particularly special and delicious. (And addicting. Forewarning!)
- 2 ready-made pie crusts (or make your own)
- Nutella or Biscoff spread (or both)
- Metal-pronged fork & 2 teaspoons
- Small heart-shaped cutter
- Pizza cutter
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Use pizza cutter to divide the pie crusts into 8 triangles.
- Using the heart-shaped cutter, cut 8 hearts out of 8 triangles, and place cut-out hearts to the side for now.
- Using a teaspoon, measure out about ¾ teaspoon of Nutella or Biscoff spread and place in the center of the triangle, smearing outward, almost to the edge.
- Smearing a small amount of the filling on the cut-out heart, placing the filling side down onto the pastry, to help keep it stuck down.
- With point side down, massage the top of pie crust into forming two semi-circles for the top of the heart. Pinch as you go to keep both the top and bottom together, massaging the corners smooth, rounding it out as gently as possible.
- Once formed into the heart shape, using the fork, press the edges closed all the way around.
- Repeat until all 8 pop tarts are assembled.
- Bake at 350 until sizzling and slightly golden brown. Do not leave these unsupervised, they will cook quickly, as they are thin. Keep a close eye on them - enjoy a cup of coffee in the kitchen, or a light snack while you wait and watch.
- Once out of the oven, be very careful removing them, as they are still warm and pliable. Place them on a flat plate or cooling rack until cooled.
I love how intricate this recipe appears to be, yet it’s really not. I also love how the hearts almost look rustic and sewn. So much prettier than the store variety, don’t you think?
Whether you choose to make your own pie crust, or buy store-bought, these homemade pop tarts are an easy way to show your love for someone special.
You can also make this ahead of time, and refrigerate.
The possibilities for fillings are endless. Strawberry or raspberry jam? Applesauce and spices? I can’t wait to try more varieties!
What do you think? Have you ever made your own homemade pop tarts before?