Learn how to make and decorate these absolutely adorable Christmas Tree Whoopie Pies with this easy Christmas Tree Whoopie Pies Recipe for the holidays!
Christmas Tree Whoopie Pies Recipe
If you’re looking for a different kind of dessert to bring to a holiday potluck, party, or get together, or perhaps serve at a cookie exchange, this Christmas Tree Whoopie Pies recipe is a fantastic and fun one to make!
Easy Christmas Tree Whoopie Pies Recipe
The funnest part about this recipe is the creation of the whoopie pies using cake mix! Pick your favorite chocolate cake mix and goooo!
We make homemade buttercream to fill the whoopie pies, but you could easily use store bought in a pinch. These cake-like whoopie pies are to die for, they are so chocolatey and delish!
How to Make Christmas Tree Whoopie Pies
For this recipe, you will need a boxed cake mix to start off with, plus milk, oil, and eggs to help make the actual whoopie pies. You’ll also need butter, confectioner’s sugar, more milk, vanilla, kelly green gel food coloring, sprinkles, and mini pretzel sticks.
Mix up your cake batter and once combined well, roll the cake mix into 2-inch spheres on a lined cookie sheet, baking for 10 minutes at 350. Allow to cool completely.
Beat butter, confectioner’s sugar, milk, and vanilla on with a mixer until your buttercream is made, dividing it into two sections (one for the filling of the whoopie pies, the other for the tree frosting on top). Fill your whoopie pies with the buttercream, sandwiching them together.
Mix the kelly green gel food coloring with the other buttercream, and using a piping bag, zig-zag the frosting back and forth into a tree shape as shown. Decorate your frosted tree with sprinkles. Break off a piece of the mini pretzel as the tree stump and repeat for every whoopie pie!
Look at the adorableness! Is this not perfect to give out this holiday to friends, family, and neighbors?
Wouldn’t this be a huge hit at a holiday party or cookie exchange? This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled to make for many loved ones!
Christmas Tree Whoopie Pies
For the cake portion
- 1 box cake mix
- 3 tbsp milk
- ¼ cup canola or vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- To make the cake, in a large bowl, mix together cake mix, milk, oil and eggs.
- Roll the cake mix into balls, approximately 2 inches in size and place on your lined baking sheet, at least 1 inch apart from each other. Bake for 10 minutes and allow to cool completely.
- For the buttercream, beat butter, confectioners’ sugar, milk and vanilla on medium speed. Gradually increase to high and once ingredients are smooth and well-combined, divide evenly in two separate bowls.
- Use one bowl of buttercream as the filling of your whoopie pies. Use an offset spatula to spread buttercream on the backside of one cake and then sandwich it with another.
- Tint your other bowl of buttercream with Kelly green gel food coloring and with a piping bag, pipe out the design of a tree on top of each whoopie pie. Decorate with sprinkles.
- Break off your mini pretzels into thirds and place it at the bottom of your icing tree – this will act as the tree stump.
- Enjoy and happy holidays!