If you’re looking for an absolutely adorable cupcake recipe to serve on game day, check out these easy Football Cupcakes for the big game!
Easy Football Cupcakes Recipe – Perfect for Game Day!
Tis the season for falling leaves, cooler temps, preparations for the holiday season with Thanksgiving and Christmas, and for those of you who are huge huge fans, it’s also FOOTBALL SEASON! 🏈 Woohoo! In preparation for the big game coming up, let’s start talking snacks and recipes for the big game party, shall we? And here’s where these awesome Football Cupcakes come into play!
Simple Football Cupcakes Recipe for The Big Game
These Football Cupcakes make a great addition to any football spread you’ve got going on. For our preferred spread, we’ve got PLENTY of fan favorites. Wings during football season are ALWAYS AWESOME. Huge hot wing fan here (especially with plenty of ranch)! *both hands raised* I’m also a sucker for a good spinach artichoke dip, too. (G’head and click that link, my recipe is pretty bomb diggity.) And if you’re a fan of spinach, go ahead and feast your eyes on my spectacular spinach balls recipe, which is a perfect bite-sized snack for that loaded football spread.
Football Cupcakes for the Big Game
A few more favorite dishes that are absolutely perfect football food dishes are a good ol’ steaming bowl of the best homemade chili EVER! Can it get any better than that in the cold months? Our homemade recipe is tried and true, you should really check it out, not just for football parties or gatherings, but for ANY TIME chili is wanted! Another huge family favorite in our household – chicken bacon ranch quesadillas! (Also, if you really like the speecy-spice, check out our jalapeño chicken bacon ranch quesadillas!) So good, friends!
Football Cupcakes for Game Day
Just picture all that glorious football food perfect for game-watching with friends and family. These Football Cupcakes would look so wonderful seated on a cupcake tower sitting majestically above your dips, chips, wings, and more on party platters, don’t you think? Pair ’em with my friend April’s Salted Caramel Football Rice Krispies Treats!
Easy Football Cupcakes Recipe
These Football Cupcakes are so much fun to decorate with the kids using the grass frosting decorating tip! It kinda reminds me of Oscar the Grouch from Sesame Street the way it comes out of the Wilton tip. My daughter (who loves to bake) even pointed it out! I like how it’s perfectly imperfect, you know?
Simple Football Cupcakes Recipe
For this football cupcakes recipe, we used these green cupcake liners but you can easily use these football cupcake liners! One thing my daughter pointed out to me too was that these almost look like those football ring cupcakes you can make or get at a bakery! But the best part is, it isn’t a ring, it’s a fondant football, and you can EAT it! Hooray! I think I prefer the edible fondant football version, don’t you?
How to Make Football Cupcakes
To make these fantastic Football Cupcakes for your next football get together, you will need to gather the following ingredients:
- One dozen of your favorite chocolate cupcakes (This is our favorite boxed chocolate cake mix that I love to use to make chocolate cupcakes in a time crunch, but this wonderful homemade chocolate cupcake recipe from my friend Mel is one of our most favorites to make from scratch!)
- Softened butter
- Confectioners’ sugar
- Kelly green gel food coloring
- Chocolate fondant
- White decorating frosting
You will also need the following tools:
Before you start decorating your cupcakes, ensure that all of your cupcakes are cool to the touch. Be sure to use a wire rack to ensure that your cupcakes are fully cooled both top and bottom so that your frosting won’t slide off and melt off from your cupcakes being still warm on the inside. 😉
Begin by making your “grass” buttercream. With an electric mixer, add butter, confectioners’ sugar and milk. Beat on low, gradually increasing it to high speed. Once the ingredients are well-combined and smooth, add in your green gel food coloring and mix until completely tinted. Assemble your frosting bag so that it has Wilton tip #233 and scoop your buttercream frosting into it.
Frost each cupcake so that it looks like grass. Be silly. It doesn’t have to be perfect, but it is SO MUCH FUN to use this decorating tip and get fun and whimsical with it. Get a good ‘ol pile of grass on there to serve as a nice base for the next part.
Get your chocolate fondant out and separate it into twelve one-inch spheres.
Mold the spheres so that they have football shapes. With your white decorating frosting, pipe out the football’s “laces” on each fondant piece.
Place one football fondant piece on each cupcake, serve, and enjoy!
Easy Football Cupcakes Recipe
- Before you start decorating, ensure that all of your cupcakes are cool to the touch. It’s easiest if you cool them on a wire rack.
- Begin by making your buttercream “grass” frosting. With an electric mixer, add butter, confectioners’ sugar and milk, beating on low, gradually increasing it to high speed.
- Once the ingredients are well-combined and smooth, add your green gel food coloring and mix until completely tinted and well mixed.
- Assemble your frosting bag so that it has Wilton tip #233 and scoop your buttercream frosting into it.
- Frost each cupcake gently so that it looks like grass.
- Separate your chocolate fondant into twelve one-inch spheres. Mold them so that they have football shapes.
- With your white decorating frosting, pipe out the football’s “laces” on each fondant piece.
- Place one football fondant piece on each cupcake. Serve and enjoy!
While you’re here, save this recipe for later by pinning it below! Also, check out at all my party recipes for other fun favorites and be sure to delve into my full recipe index for all our family recipes! I hope you enjoy these! Please come back and tell me how you like ’em! 🙂