If you love ladybugs, check out these absolutely adorable Lovebug Ladybug Cookies! Wouldn’t these be perfect for Valentine’s Day or served at a Valentine’s Party?
Lovebug Ladybug Cookies
If you have a ladybug lover in your life, then you have GOT to make these gorgeous Lovebug Ladybug Cookies for them! Make it a surprise! Wrap up these fun ladybug cookies in Valentine’s cellophane baggies as treats for kids or classmates! They are absolutely perfect for a ladybug themed party or for anytime you want to make a little ladybug themed treat!
Ladybug Cookies for Valentine’s Day
My daughter’s first grade class had a class mascot, and it was the ladybug! These cookies would’ve been so freaking perfect for any of their class parties or festivities, don’t you think? Even if your child’s class mascot isn’t the ladybug like my daughter’s was, don’t you think your little ones would get a kick out of these ladybug cookies? The googly eyes are KILLING me with how cute they look on these cookies!
Valentine’s Lovebug Ladybug Cookies
If you’re looking for some sweet treats to serve at a Valentine’s party, these Lovebug Ladybug Cookies would work beautifully, wouldn’t you say? These would make a wonderful gift for someone too! Box ’em up really nicely packaged to give as a present to someone you love. Be sure to check out my Red Velvet Truffles and also my Cream Cheese Mint Hearts too! They’re also perfect for Valentine’s Day!
Easy Ladybug Cookies for Valentine’s
I love using this round cookie cutter to bake with on this recipe. It makes perfect sized cookies and perfectly proportioned fondant for the top, too! I love using a cookie cutter for fondant cutting because of just how easy and effortless it makes shapes when you need them! See how perfectly it created the circles for the top of the cookies? I couldn’t do that by hand even if I tried, haha!
Cute Lovebug Ladybug Cookies Recipe
I bet it never occurred to you how each of these cookies have perfect circle dots on them. Would you believe me if I told you that we used a Wilton decorator tip for those dots? Yes! You don’t have to use Wilton tips simply for piping decorative frosting, you can also use it to make perfect shapes for cookies just like this! Plus, the kids can help because it isn’t sharp!
Lovebug Ladybug Cookies Recipe
You can make these sugar cookies from scratch or you can use a sugar cookie mix. Heck, they even make that sugar cookie ready-to-bake dough you can use for this! I find it highly helpful to use a silicone cutting mat when using fondant, it helps to work on a non-stick surface in order to peel it back and place it where it needs to go. Plus, it keeps your work surface safe and clean, too!
How to Make Ladybug Cookies
To make these Lovebug Ladybug Cookies, you will need the following:
- Sugar cookie dough with enough dough to make 12 cookies, cut out into circles about 1.5 inches in diameter (this is my all time favorite sugar cookie recipe)
- Red fondant
- Black fondant
- Candy googly eyes
- Pink decorating frosting
You will also need the following tools:
Ensure that your cookies are completely cool by allowing them to cool on a wire rack. Roll out your red fondant so that it’s about ¼ of an inch thick. With the same round cookie cutter you used to cut out your cookies, cut out 12 circle pieces. Press one red fondant circle onto each cookie and smoothen out.
With your cookie cutter, cut out 6 circles from your black fondant. Using a butter or paring knife, cut the circle in half. Press the half circle onto each cookie – this will act as the ladybug’s head.
Add 2 googly candy eyes on the black fondant onto each ladybug. With your pink decorating frosting, frost out a little heart to the side of the googly eyes on each of your ladybugs’ head. Using the Wilton icing tip #12, cut out small circles from the remaining black fondant and press onto the body of each ladybug. You can use 3-4 dots for each ladybug.
Serve and enjoy ’em! Aren’t they simply adorable?
Lovebug Ladybug Cookies
- Before beginning to decorate your cookies, you must ensure that your sugar cookies are completely cool. The quickest way to do this is to allow them to cool on a wire rack.
- Roll out your red fondant so that it’s about ¼ of an inch thick. With the same cookie cutter you used to cut out your cookies, cut out 12 circle pieces.
- Press one red fondant circle onto each sugar cookie and smooth it out.
- With your cookie cutter, cut out 6 circles from your black fondant. Using a butter or paring knife, cut the black fondant circle in half.
- Press the half circle onto each cookie – this will act as the ladybug’s head.
- Add 2 googly candy eyes on each ladybug on the black fondant half circles.
- With your pink decorating frosting, frost out a little heart on each of your ladybugs’ head next to the googly eyes.
- Using Wilton icing tip #12, cut out small circles from the black fondant and press onto the body of each ladybug for the dots on the ladybug’s back. You can use 3-4 dots for each ladybug.
- Serve and enjoy these beautiful cookies!
If you love making cookies, be sure to check out all my cookies recipes like this! You can also check out all my dessert recipes, too! How about entertaining recipes? Be sure to check out my full recipe index to see all the fun recipes we’ve been cooking up here!