The following recipe is sponsored by Fitfluential LLC on behalf of Daisy Cottage Cheese.
I feel like such a freaking super hero for this recipe. My kids love (some) vegetables, don’t get me wrong, but sneaking in vegetables into something they think is a treat? Total parental winning in my book. And this Carrot Cake Protein Shake sneaks in those tasty carrots, giving this shake the added authenticity to the carrot cake taste, and tastes A-MAY-ZING.
The cast of characters:
I know you spotted the surprise awesome ingredient in this protein shake is Daisy cottage cheese. (Don’t you look at me with your scrunched up nose, though!) Trust me when I tell you, you don’t even know it’s there! Cottage cheese makes the shake super creamy and milkshake-like, and it’s a much healthier choice instead of milk. Every 90 calorie ½ cup serving is packed with 13 grams of protein, which helps you to stay fuller longer. Plus, it’s also considered a good source of calcium and is free of additives, preservatives, and thickeners with only four ingredients. Daisy’s also redesigned their lids to make it easier to spot it in the cottage cheese aisle: dark blue is regular cottage cheese, and light blue is low-fat (as you can see above).
- ½ cup Daisy low-fat or fat-free cottage cheese
- ½ cup shredded or grated carrots (or ½ cup carrots, chopped into small pieces)
- 5-10 ice cubes (depending on how thick you like your shake)*
- ½-1 cup water (depending upon how much shake you'd like to make)*
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (I use Spirutein or Shakeology)
- 2 packets Truvia or stevia (or 1 teaspoon of the sweetener of choice)
- Dash or two of nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice, and cinnamon
- Place all your ingredients into a blender and mix until carrots and ice are fully pulverized and well-combined.
- *Adjust water and ice cubes according to consistency preference.
- Serve immediately.
I made enough for my husband to have a shake after his run one afternoon, plus the kids devoured the rest of it! That cinnamon and nutmeg infused carrot-y goodness went over like gangbusters!
Hosted by: FitFluential
Date: April 10, 2014
Theme: Power Your Way Through the Day
Time: 9:00 pm EST
Are you a cottage cheese lover? Or have you ever considered using cottage cheese in your shakes?