Looking for a fun patriotic cookie recipe to make for an upcoming barbecue or party this summer for Memorial Day or Fourth of July? This easy Patriotic Sugar Cookies recipe is a fun one to make with the kids!
This post may contain affiliate links which means we receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Patriotic Sugar Cookies Recipe
These fun and festive sugar cookies made with a from-scratch sugar cookies recipe are dyed in celebratory patriotic colors and blended together in a fun tie-dye kind of way to make this Patriotic Sugar Cookies recipe one-of-a-kind!
These are easy to double and triple to make more (or even half if you have a smaller family) and they keep really well, too! Let the kids have fun with this one, especially when it comes to the smooshing together of the colors before you roll!
Where Can I Find The Actual Recipe Card?
If you’d rather skip all of my preparation tips, important information for this recipe, and similar recipe ideas – and get straight to the easy Patriotic Sugar Cookies recipe, just scroll down to the bottom, where you’ll find a printable recipe card.
Can You Make These Patriotic Sugar Cookies Ahead of Time?
Absolutely! These from-scratch sugar cookies require refrigeration before being made to chill the dough out before baking. You can totally make the cookie dough ahead of time and keep it refrigerated until you plan or need to make them! You can also make them a day or two before and keep them wrapped or sealed in a storage container too!
Equipment Needed to Make Patriotic Sugar Cookies
To make these fun and easy Patriotic Sugar Cookies for Memorial Day or July Fourth, you’ll need the following kitchen tools:
- Large bowl
- Wooden spoon
- Plastic wrap
- Baking Sheets
- Parchment paper or silicone baking mats
- Wilton decorating mat
- Rolling pin
- Star-shaped cookie cutter
- Wire cooling rack
Ingredients Needed to Make Patriotic Sugar Cookies
To make these Patriotic Sugar Cookies from scratch, you’ll need to assemble the following ingredients:
- Granulated sugar
- Softened butter sticks
- Large eggs
- Vanilla extract
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Red gel food coloring
- Blue gel food coloring
Keep in mind, all of the ingredient amounts you’ll need are in the printable recipe card below.
How to Make Patriotic Sugar Cookies for Memorial Day or the Fourth of July
Knead each one to ensure they’re completely tinted through. Cover each cookie dough color in its own plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour. (This can be chilled overnight too!)
Remove cookie dough from fridge and let sit for about 5 minutes. Line your baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats and set aside. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Break apart each of the cookie dough colors into smaller spheres onto a Wilton decorating mat, make them about 2 inches in size each.
Press and smoosh the different color cookie dough spheres together, alternating colors.
Sprinkle a rolling pin with all-purpose flour. While you’re at it, be sure to add some of the flour on your Wilton decorating mat or clean working surface to prevent sticking. Roll out your cookie dough until it’s about ½-inch thick.
To re-roll dough, be sure to piece the cut-up dough together (rather than re-shaping it into a ball and rolling) because this will keep all the colors intact.
Bake for 6-7 minutes. Allow to cool on a wire rack – serve and enjoy!
Can Your Frost These Sugar Cookies?
Sure, you absolutely could if you really wanted to! If I were to frost these, I’d only use a thin glaze and use as little as possible per cookie because of the glorious colors I want shown! But that’s just my choice personally, you can choose to frost these in red white and blue colors if you’d like to, you just wouldn’t see the sugar cookie colors as easily, but it’s up to you!
Related Patriotic Dessert Recipes and Ideas
If you love this Patriotic Sugar Cookies Recipe just as we do, then you’re going to love these dessert recipes and ideas too!!!
- Patriotic Meringue Pops – these cloud-like patriotic treats are crazy easy and so much fun to make and enjoy!
- Fourth of July Ideas – this post has a tonnnn of awesome ideas for recipes and crafts for your patriotic fun this summer!
- Easy Strawberry Shortcake Croissants – these might not be red white and blue, but they are certainly tasty and festive for your dessert table!
- Most Heavenly Raspberry Pie Recipe EVER – this recipe remains a huge favorite and always impresses, and it’s the simplest thing
- Blueberry Scones and Strawberry Scones – alternate these gorgeous scones recipes on a platter and you’ve got quite the festive and patriotic breakfast going on!
- Mixed Berry Muffins – Who says you can’t have easy patriotic muffins to enjoy for the holiday that are as tasty as they are healthy?!
Coming soon, I will have Patriotic Cupcakes recipes for you as well! 🙂
Get the Printable Recipe for Patriotic Sugar Cookies
If you love this Patriotic Sugar Cookies recipe as much as we do, please leave me a 5-star review below and help me share this recipe on Facebook and Pinterest! If you do make the recipe, I hope you’ll share that you tried it on Pinterest! I love it SO MUCH when readers share their feedback! 🙂
Patriotic Sugar Cookies
- Divide cookie dough into three parts.
- Cover each cookie dough color in its own plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour. (This can be chilled overnight too!)
- Remove cookie dough from fridge and let sit for about 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Break apart each of the cookie dough colors into smaller spheres onto a Wilton decorating mat, make them about 2 inches in size each.
- Press and smoosh the different color cookie dough spheres together, alternating colors.
- Roll out your cookie dough until it’s about ½-inch thick.
- To re-roll dough, be sure to piece the cut-up dough together (rather than re-shaping it into a ball and rolling) because this will keep all the colors intact.
- Bake for 6-7 minutes.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack – serve and enjoy!