These Easy Christmas Wreath Cupcakes made with chocolate cupcakes, homemade buttercream frosting, fondant, and large sprinkles! These are some of the cutest and easiest Christmas cupcakes you’ll find!
Christmas Wreath Cupcakes
Holiday baking is my faaaavorite! (As if you haven’t noticed lately, heh!) Any reason to break out the piping bag and bake with my daughter, I am down! She’s a budding baker after all and us getting in the kitchen together is my favorite thing! Making holiday cupcakes and baked treats has become a “thing” for us, and I’m really excited to share with you these adorably decorated Christmas Wreath Cupcakes!
Easy Christmas Wreath Cupcakes Recipe
The best part about holiday baking for me is to create these fun creations together for others. I love giving and I love baking (especially with my littles), so pairing those together is perfection for me. These adorable holiday cupcakes are such a fun addition to the ones we’ve already created – Snowman Cupcakes, Reindeer Cupcakes, and other holiday treats too, like Santa Belt Oreos and Christmas Tree Cake Pops!
Festive Christmas Wreath Cupcakes for The Holidays
It wasn’t until I made my Christmas Tree Cupcakes Recipe that I found out there were larger than normal sprinkles that you can decorate with called jumbo nonpareils! I got them multicolored because they look just like Christmas balls! They are absolutely PERFECT for this and any other Christmas tree recipes where you need to decorate the “tree,” don’t you think?
There’s something so special about baking for the holidays, and I hope you get to experience it and capture it when you make these. Be sure to have a good electric mixer to whip up the cupcakes and mix the homemade buttercream frosting!
Tips for Decorating Cupcakes
To decorate the best and easiest with minimal cleaning, I find covering your work surface with wax or parchment paper is best. You can even use a reusable baking mat, too (since it’s washable and also non-stick). I also like having the Wilton decorating kit ready for any piping I may do on these recipes, as it’s a good starter set to have on hand with a lot of good decorating tips to use for piping designs.
How to Make Christmas Wreath Cupcakes
To make these adorable and easy Christmas Wreath Cupcakes for your next holiday party, you will need:
- Your favorite chocolate cupcakes already baked and cooled (this cake mix is our fave, yesss)
- softened stick of butter
- icing sugar
- Kelly green gel food coloring
- yellow fondant
- Candies of assorted colors (these jumbo nonpareils are what I used)
- Piping bag and Wilton decorating tip 21
Be absolutely certain that your cupcakes are thoroughly cooled before decorating. You don’t want to decorate these beautiful cupcakes and have the decor run off the cupcake and melt because the cupcakes are still too hot.
How to Decorate Christmas Wreath Cupcakes
For this recipe, I used a piping bag with Wilton decorating tip 21 to get the texture I desire with the Christmas cupcakes. Ready these and set them aside, along with your jumbo nonpareils or multicolored small candies.
Roll fondant into small ½ inch spheres.
Shape the little fondant spheres into 12 little stars for your cupcakes. You can easily do this by flattening the spheres then creating indents into the side. If you desire sharper points for stars, you can use the edge of a cookie cutter, scissor, knife, etc.
Beat your softened butter, icing sugar, and milk altogether using an electric mixer until creamy and well-combined. Add in food coloring and beat until the color is solid throughout. Fill your piping bag with the tip and begin to decorate, dotting onto the cupcake a small flower/star shape around the outside rim.
Do another row on the inside for two rows of green buttercream frosting.
Top with a fondant star and decorate with the candies in any design that you desire. Aren’t they gorgeous?
Christmas Wreath Cupcakes
- Before beginning to decorate, be sure that your chocolate cupcakes are cool to the touch. Decorating when they’re warm will cause the frosting to melt and slip off – drooly frosting is not good! Let ’em cool completely.
- Using an electric mixer, beat softened butter, icing sugar and milk altogether until smooth.
- Color the frosting with green gel food coloring and mix on high until completely tinted.
- Using a piping bag, dot around the circumference of each cupcake, making two rows of pom-poms around the outside of the cupcake.
- Roll fondant into ½ inch spheres and then shape into 12 little stars. You can easily do this by flattening the spheres then creating indents into the side. For sharper points for stars, you can use the edge of a cookie cutter, scissor, knife, etc.
- Place one star on each cupcake.
- Add your multi-colored candies and serve. Enjoy and happy holidays!
If you love holiday recipes like this one, don’t forget to check out my recipe index for more dessert recipes, Christmas recipes, cupcake recipes, and much more! I hope you love making these with your family as I loved it! Happy Holidays to you!