Yes, I did just say Pumpkin “Carrot Cake” Oatmeal Pancakes. Is your mouth watering yet?
One of my most favoritest websites is Dashing Dish. Have you ever visited there before? Her site is gorgeous, the food is meticulous, her photography is superb, and I want to eat one of everything she creates because she finds healthy ways to make the evilest of things. LOVE THAT! I am REAL big on finding healthier alternatives to everything we eat (especially desserts).
I have successfully prepared and eaten her fantastic Carrot Cake Protein Pancakes before as a healthy delicacy for me when I’m craving something sweet (plus it’s a kickass breakfast to boot). I have tweaked it, though, by added raw honey and vanilla extract, adding a bit more spice into mine because I looooove cinnamon so much. I eat it in some way everyday.
As I prepared to make more of these for myself, I reached into my pantry and found a full can of pumpkin staring at me, begging to be used. So I asked myself, “What if I infused pumpkin into this recipe somehow?”
OH YES I DID.
Pumpkin “Carrot Cake” Oatmeal Pancakes with Protein
- ¼ cup (2 ounces) vanilla protein powder (I use Spirutein)
- ½ cup (4 ounces) low fat vanilla Greek yogurt (or plain vanilla yogurt)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon Pumpkin Pie spice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 egg whites or one whole egg
- 1¼ cup old fashioned oats
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup of water
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-4 packets of Truvia, (or sweetener of choice to taste)
- ½ cup finely minced carrots (best if done in a food processor)
- ¼ cup grated carrots (to be stirred into the batter
- ½ cup (4 ounces) low fat cream cheese
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- Sprinkle of cinnamon and Truvia to taste
- Combine all ingredients into a blender, save for a little bit of finely minced carrots (for garnish) and saving the grated carrots for later.
- Blend until well mixed together.
- If your mixture is too thick, you can add additional water to reach desired consistency.
- Blend in grated carrots, stir until well mixed.
- Pour onto heated skillet, approximately ¼ cup of mixture at a time.
- Cook until sides are browned and spatula can slide under easily, then flip.
- Cook for a minute or two, and remove from heat to plate.
- Blend the ingredients with a whisk well, until clumps are gone.
- (You can choose to heat up your cream cheese slightly in the microwave, 20-or-so seconds, to make it easier to blend.)
- Place approximately one teaspoon on per pancake, layering gently with the back of the spoon.
- My preferences is to the drizzle a little more syrup on top and sprinkle a little minced carrot over top for garnish.
I promise you, you will NOT regret making these for yourself. These have such a fantastic, cake-like quality to them, particularly with that delicious ‘frosting’ on top.
It almost seems illegal, doesn’t it?
Just promise me you won’t eat them all at once. Share, okay?