Friends, this might not look like much, but it is SO FREAKING GOOD. It takes the best of both worlds – chili cheese hot dogs and tater tots with chili and cheese, and puts it all together. It’s not only super-tasty, but easy-peasy to make because you prepare it in the slow cooker/crockpot. It just doesn’t get any easier on those busy school and sports nights.
- large bag of tater tots
- 2 cans of turkey chili with no beans
- 6 all-beef hot dogs, cut up into bite-size slices
- shredded cheddar cheese to sprinkle on top before serving
- Place all the ingredients into the crock pot, mix well, set to low for 6 hours or high for 4.
- The tater tots will break apart as they cook, making it resemble more of a hash. (This is okay.)
- Stir every so often, to be sure everything is coated and cooking well.
- Serve by the bowl with sprinkled cheese over top.
OH MY GOSH, am I right!? Is that not AWESOME sounding?
It makes for a SPECTACULAR school lunch idea for kids, too.
My kids said this tasted just as awesome at school as it did at home the night before. (I always worry what the cold or room temp version of these dishes will taste like, they said it was fantastic and they were the envy of all their friends.) My son’s lunch (above) proved to be the perfect fuel for after-school football practice, too. Two sacks and a fumble recovery, baby!
What do you think? Are your kids fan of tater tot casseroles, hot dogs, and chili? Do you think they’d dig a fusion of these favorite dishes? Be sure to check out my full list of recipes and my Operation Awesome School Lunch page for great school lunch ideas.
Disclosure: This dish was prepared in my Ninja Cooking System a product sent to me to try, and I am so freaking in love with it. Beware, many more ninja cooking system recipes with this forthcoming.
Current ninja cooking system recipes: The BEST Homemade Chili Recipe
Slow Cooker Potatoes au Gratin
Slow Cooker Overnight Breakfast Casserole
Crock Pot Spinach Artichoke Dip Lasagna
Knock Your Socks Off Pork Carnitas
Slow Cooker Barbecue Chicken
Overnight Slow Cooker Pumpkin Beer Bread with Crumb Topping